Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Jinxing...

We are still glowing from the empathic win in the World Cup. Have you ever thought about the pains every one has willingly embraced to script this?


Earlier I have seen people sit in a particular chair or hold a particularly weird pose to influence wins but this time it had reached epic proportions.


One guy had stepped out of his home to shoo away an errant cat (The error here being trespassing into the guy’s house without prior permission) and India had to hit a boundary at that unfortunate (unfortunate for the guy) moment. He had to spend the rest of the match sitting outside listening to the over zealous commentary.


Another guy had chosen to take a loo break during another twist (positive twist) and his wife made him stay there for the entire match. (Whew! Some wife…)


Well…they do not mind their sacrifices…they did it for a cause!


I personally do not believe in jinxes. I do wear blue when Italy plays (soccer) but that is just to show my support. (And given the current form of the Italian team even Berlusconi himself would not be able to jinx them into a win.)


My personal favourite jinx is the one from the chronicles of Narnia…something good happens when you stop expecting it to happen. But even that has turned out to be wrong on a number of occasions and with immense faith in statistics I have stopped believing in that one too.


And during the World Cup I had tried reverse jinxing on all my friends. It’s good that India has ultimately won…else I would have long been identified as the root cause of India’s dubious defeat (trust me no body would have accepted it as a clean match) and would have been cremated and my soul would have been resting in peace or rotting in hell (I do not fancy any of the options…and no…I do not encourage you to suggest one).


We come and we go…in between we can only have whatever is there for us…not a bite less…not a bite more. If it is chocolate ice-cream for you no amount of jinxing would get you vanilla. But do not start to crib without tasting the chocolate ice-cream…some times destiny is a better writer than you yourself.


PS: Some people are abstaining from watching KKR matches trying to influence wins and supposedly if you write about it…the spell would not work! Looks like my days are numbered...

2 comments:

  1. My friend ate a certain tasteless horrible curry on the india -pak match day. India won. She waited for the entire time to again have that leftover curry in the fridge on the final day to make india win.
    She is now thinking of making that her official worldcup cricket menu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I am happy that you did not eat the same with her. She would have made you eat it repeatedly along with her.

    ReplyDelete