Thursday, January 30, 2014

Cats vs dogs

The dog lovers’ community largely outnumbers the cat lovers’ community. I can safely say that I belong to none. I have never longed for a pet nor do I belong to the throw-stones-at-animals club. When it comes to animals I choose to take Buddha’s middle path ie be kind to them but no need to keep them at home and clean up their poop.

Coming back to today’s contest…a lot has been said about the selfishness of cats and the unconditional love of dogs. Some superficial people also argue in the lines of “Cats are cuter”/”Dogs are cuter” when you ask them which is better but we shall not veer into those lines today.

Going by the opinion of the majority we can assume that dogs are indeed more friendly and loyal. But is there no one else apart from me who admires the attitude of the cats? Right from the graceful “devil-may-care” walk, the indifferent scowl and the “I’m obliging you” glance, every thing about the feline attitude impresses me. A cat, I feel, effuses elegance and independence.

In contrast think about a dog’s tail wagging, tongue hanging and propensity to begging. The canine nature is very servile and dogs are always more than willing to please us human beings. Dogs are definitely more social. They flatter us and we tend to love them more.


But may be subconsciously we all respect the nose-in-air attitude of the cats. It's very easy to find a dog who loves his master but it's very hard to find a cat who would accept you as the master. And that is why we have numerous profanities involving dogs but almost none regarding cats.


2 comments:

  1. Cats are kind of smaller replica of Tiger. I think they feel that pride and so possess this don't care attitude to the human beings ;) :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly my point...this trait is really adorable in cats.

    ReplyDelete